Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Space Heaters and How Mine Failed Me

Okay, before you get the wrong idea, the heater still heats. It still has two heat settings, low and high. It still has a timer and a temperature gauge, so it turns off at a specified temp (if I so specify).

And yet.

All the safety features I looked into, which were very important to me because I'm actually a little afraid of the electric heating devices which can start fires in the home ... ARE NOT THERE. I stand directly in front of it some mornings, due to the cold temperature of the room (65 if the heater's been working hard all night) and it DOESN'T TURN OFF. One of the safety features listed on the "safety features list" was that it would be able to detect close proximity to other objects, and if said near object was not removed within a certain, short, period of time, it would automatically shut off. Hrmph. I have not accidentally knocked the machine over yet, because I'm not that clumsy... but I have tested it. Result: There is NO automatic shut-off feature for tip-overs. And yup, you guessed it! That was also listed on the fabulous, mendacious "safety features list".

Gotta love it. Actually if it didn't heat my room in a remarkable, lovable (that's to say, I love the heat) way, I would throw it out. And I wouldn't just throw it out, I would have a copier-destroying-style party to bust it to bits before consigning it to the dump.

And I'll never again buy a Honeywell product. That'll teach those lying manufacturers of dangerous electric appliances. Cross your fingers I don't burn before then.

4 comments:

  1. What the fuck is PC Load Letter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, are you sure you know the proximity and time required to get it to shut off? Not to mention that seems like a dumb idea anyway, its not like heater is moving around getting close to things. Also, are you sure the sensor is in the front?
    And what type of sensor, because it might not be tripped by legs, rather more a bookshelf or something.
    second, tipping over should turn it off immediately. but are you sure its not that the heating element turns off and the fan keeps blowing?
    I'm saying you need to do more testing/researching before you write off all Honeywell products based on your heater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that other things can fall on a space heater, right Ty? Gravity is a bitch. One imagines the purpose is to turn off if something flammable like a blanket falls on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ty: First, no, the label wasn't that specific. And AJ is right, it's more for some hanging piece of something in front of/on top of it. And why would the sensor be anywhere else? The front is the only potential fire hazard.

    Second, I haven't left it tipped over very long because I don't want to singe the carpet... but it definitely doesn't turn off. Why would just the heater and not the fan turn off? The On button turns them both on at the same time. The Off button turns them both off at the same time.

    And that there is my reasoning for feeling betrayed by Honeywell.

    ReplyDelete