Tuesday, July 6, 2010

To Remember: Autumn Visits Summer, June 2010

Yesterday was the first really hot day in the past week. Now the entire east coast is engaged in battle with a nearly record-breaking heat wave.

But four days ago (all timeframes and dates approximate), the mid-Atlantic region felt like Autumn had arrived early. Meaning I got even more restless, bored, irritable, and itchy to be outside. (Note: the downside to not having a day job is not necessarily having anything to do during the day. That, or I'm more lazy than adventurous.) Eventually, a few days later, I believe Thursday, I managed to get up early enough to drive to Great Falls Park and view the amazing falls from the three observation decks, and hike the River Trail. This trail is rocky, slightly hilly, and in places comes perilously close to the cliff edge. I witnessed a kayak practice, where kayakers crossed the river in the up- and downstream directions, caught a glimpse of climbers ascending the cliffside (shudder) and passed several groups of hikers, like me.

Great Falls passes ($5 for one private vehicle) last three days. Counting the day you pay for the pass, the first Park Ranger was careful to tell me. So two days later I went back, this time with the madre, and to hike a section of the Swamp Trail, which is more interesting, nature-wise, and quieter, people-wise, than the River Trail. Though more poorly marked. That day marked the return of summer heat and humidity.

This whole cool week, the breeze blew, mornings were chilly, the days full of sunshine, and nights downright cold. We left the windows open and my winter down comforter became a necessary comfort. The air even smelled like fall. I miss it already. I long for the apple cider, apple pie and pumpkins, the bright and deep color of the leaves, the scent of autumn, the crisp mornings and cool evenings, the light layers that make being outside comfortable. All the best holidays are in the fall, too. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and just into winter, Christmas. Hot chocolate, hot soups, baked squash and potatoes. Warm boots, that puff of cloud on the breath.

Fall has always meant new beginnings to me. I loved shopping for the First Day of School Outfit. The plastic smell of new school supplies. The excitement, that first day, of learning new things and getting back into the habit of organizing notes and binders and figuring out classes.

I don't want to miss what summer has to offer, but I can't help looking forward to September.

No comments:

Post a Comment