Saturday, April 9, 2011

Summertime: Gin and Tonic Upgrade

Today I want to write about the color green.

But I'm going to start with a little history.

Back in Scotland, one of the "summer" drinks was Pimm's. It's pretty ubiquitous, and you don't need to know what it is to enjoy it properly - the recipe's on the bottle. Basically, take Pimm's, add lemon-lime soda (tonic might work, too), and fruit. Cut up strawberries and cucumbers especially, but citrus and other fruits work as well. Stir, and enjoy. We used to drink these every summer, at garden parties, in beer gardens, any pretty outside location, really.

Returning to the present, today is the first legitimately warm day in Scotland since October (says the woman from south of the M-D). In celebration, I've opened my door to let the sunshine in - early evening, fortuitously, is the best part of the day for this - and I'm having a gin and tonic. You thought I was going to say Pimm's, didn't you? :) I don't actually have any, but gin works almost as well.

In fact, the reason I told the story about Pimm's and Scotland is because I've upgraded my gin and tonic (with lime). It now includes cucumber. And it makes a very pleasantly, noticeable difference. First, cucumber just smells fresh and sunny. Secondly, it adds a really light high note on the palate of aforementioned fresh and sunny qualities.

Try it. Tell me if you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, but I think I'll have to wait until we get back to the U.S. to try it. It's a little hard to get gin over here... :-P

    ReplyDelete