Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sekanjabin

I found the minty drink so delightful that I've decided to re-create it, at home. I plan to drink it as is, and also to add rum to it, as the occasion demands.

The link in the title leads you to the recipe I decided to try out, first time around, to make the minty syrup that is the basis of the drink. In case you don't care to click the link, here's the recipe (slightly altered) in the post:

Ingredients:
4 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 cup white vinegar*
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 sprig mint per glass, and shredded/grated cucumber to add to the pitcher or the glass

In a large pan over medium heat, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Boil for five minutes, then add the (correct amount!) of vinegar. Boil until the syrup drips slowly from the end of a cold spoon. Lower the heat, add the mint, and simmer for three minutes. Strain the syrup into a jar and let cool. Add three tbsp of syrup to each glass, fill with water, stir. Serve with mint, shredded cucumber, ice, rum, et cetera.


*I've just now realized that I doubled the vinegar without knowing, and nothing else. So, I guess I'll see if this batch turns out. Shame if it doesn't, given the amount of sugar required. Sigh. 

1 comment:

  1. ** I doubled the recipe, and it worked really well! So now, I just have to find people to give the extra to...

    ReplyDelete