Saturday, October 23, 2010

CRRS Conference: Rethinking Early Modern Print Culture

Just got home from the second round of a two-day annual conference (the title is in the title of this post, naturally) and of course find a cold apartment and nothing to bake! My strategy of cooking just to warm up my apartment won't work today, I guess.

But to get to the interesting part, I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity to go to this conference, because the department that puts it on is actually the Center for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, and no other conference in years past or future will have as much to do with my degree as this one did. An international conference, I briefly chatted with natives of France and Italy, and the keynote speaker works at Oxford. I went to some fascinating (and not-so-fascinating) panels, nodded off through a few of them, but took good notes in most, and helped arrange, clean up and register attendees. Also, I snagged lots of great scones and cookies. Not to mention I got a free book, with another potential one on the way. Depending on how many other volunteers want it.

Some of the topics included the economics of the European book trade in the early modern period, marginal notes in Renaissance texts, and collated volumes of plays by different authors.

I brought my books with me and did some reading today, which turned out to be a popular conversation-starter. Apparently two or three attendees have read the same texts, and freely gave me their opinions on them.

And now, after a very full Friday and Saturday, I have not gotten much reading done, have tons left to do, and am so knackered all I can think about is sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment