Monday, November 8, 2010

Nap Time as Metaphor for Essay Writing

I'm currently working on a hypothetical response to a request for a proposal regarding a hypothetical oil spill off the coast of Newfoundland. My goal is to design and discuss implementation for an information system that facilitates communication and effective goal-achievement in the recovery efforts. It might be the most difficult paper I've written. It involves analyzing a case study; many many summaries; responding to specific requirements; justifying my choice of requirements to address and the order in which I've prioritized them; considering problems and guidelines for implementation of the information system; and drawing a model of the information system. Whew!

So, it's due tomorrow afternoon, and I still have two or four of those subjects to cover, the model to draw and discuss, and the usual editing, revising and proofreading.

This morning I've finally gone over my analysis, which is what the rest of the paper is actually based on. (The solution has to fix the stated problem, right?) So, briefly, I feel more comfortable about being able to answer all the sections appropriately and well.

Which brings me to the metaphor. I recall very well one particular nap time in elementary school, I believe it was first grade. Back then I hated nap time, like most kids (what was I thinking?), and usually spent at least part of it chatting to my next-mat neighbor. One day we had to take a memory test. My name was whispered, so I got up and walked outside to the little table by the door where the teacher told me a story, which I was supposed to repeat back to her. I failed. At the time, I couldn't remember why my teacher got so mad at me. She told me I could try again later, and even though I protested that I could do it then, I got sent back to my mat. The second time, I realized how easy the task actually was. All it required was my attention, and applying myself.

I realize now I've not been paying attention to the story I've been trying to tell, and that paying attention to it is all I really need to do to succeed. I guess I'll find out if this metaphor still holds when I get my assignment back in a few weeks. Here's hoping it does!

No comments:

Post a Comment