Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Notes on Libraries

Recently, I started volunteering at one of the university's public libraries, in Hart House. A little confusing, that description: to clarify, it's a university-affiliated library that is open to the public.

Two hours a week isn't much time, but I have already remembered how soothing re-shelving, straightening, and re-organizing books can be. In addition, the library itself (atmosphere, architecture, temperature) helps refresh my attitude and de-stress. For those who have never been, this is where I volunteer:


I've just realized I never put up an image of where I had class last semester - another beautiful library at U of T. Belatedly, here's an image of the Fisher


To get back to this library, it's kind of a hidden spot where many come to nap, study and read. 

I wouldn't want you to think that all library work is re-shelving, organizing and straightening, though. I've been given several projects that are much more interesting, if not as relaxing. I've the opportunity to practice my newly-learned cataloging skills, and to work with rare books (determining whether or not they're rare, and if so, deaccessioning them and sending them to the Fisher above. It's all very exciting. 

I just spent a half an hour reading a section of a book I never would have picked up, had it not been waiting for classification and cataloging, and which I fully intend to investigate further. Enter contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment