Sunday, January 23, 2011

Burns Night Supper

To sum up the last few weeks, I've been getting back into the swing of grad school, and avoiding reading, studying and writing. They haven't been very productive weeks...

But that's not what this post is about. This is another post about the wonderful people of the St Andrews Alumni Club in Toronto. And Robbie Burns Night.




Last night was Robbie Burns night. And the first time I'd celebrated the "holiday" since I was a young, impressionable first-year at university. At the time, I had no idea what I was getting into, when I was volunteered to stab the haggis after the reading of "Address to a Haggis." Last night, one of the alumni demonstrated the talent it takes to do it properly. A friend of mine has a video - I'll see if I can't get him to send it to me so I can add it later.

The haggis was delicious, the neeps and tatties, too; the company delightful, and the AGM short and witty. I somewhat rashly volunteered to help prepare for a high-profile dinner and event happening in March. This should light a fire under me to get started and finished with my work, but I've a feeling the influence of the cold, snowy winter weather is just too strong...

Speaking of which, I should get back to it. (Work, that is, not winter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment