Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Granola Life

I'm still learning from the whole bike-commuting experience. For example, I've discovered I hate being out in the rain when I'm not prepared (i.e. dancing, or splashing in puddles, or hiking) even more than I thought I did. I'm also re-discovering the meaning (the real meaning) of the terms "cardio" and "muscle-tone." Unsurprisingly, I'm happier about the second than the first.

In other news, I'm living more like a granola* every day. Although I've always been interested in living cheaply, reducing my carbon footprint, et cetera, I'm not sure I ever imagined I would be biking everywhere (not even taking public transportation as a usual, quotidian thing) and going to the farmer's market (where, for the first time at a farmer's market, I bought yogurt. And eggs. And smoked whitefish^, among other things) and composting and recycling and baking my own bread, making my own spaghetti sauce and pizzas and smoothies and not buying clothes things.** It's kind of fun, really. I feel more self-sufficient than ever. I haven't started planting vegetables and herbs, yet, but that's also on the list of things to do. I'm thinking tomatoes and basil to start... I'll discover whether or not my thumb is green. In the past, I've had very inconsistent success with gardening.




*I use this term with utmost respect, affection and admiration.


^Usually I just go for the veggies. The yogurt is excellent, as is the fish. Next on the list is good chicken. Free range and organic chicken, like the eggs.


**Okay, this last one has nothing to do with personal preferences. If I had my druthers, I'd still be buying pretty clothes things. It's just not in the cards at this point in my life. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. yay for the granola life! Are you going to Dufferin Grove market? Trinity Bellwoods? good luck with the herbs...

    ReplyDelete