Thursday, May 5, 2011

Two Wheels and a Helmet

I started biking to campus this week. It's been an adventure, a fun one so far. Here's the summary:

About three weeks ago, I went secondhand bike shopping with a friend of mine. We went to two places to find the right bike, in terms of fit, comfort (although I'm having second thoughts about that*) and price. Not only that, but the owner of the shop was really helpful, honest and friendly. Which is important, when buying a used something-or-other. Also, his shop didn't smell like weed.

The fixie I decided on wasn't finished, so I waited a week and a half for the fixing of it. When I came back, Hasan raised the seat again, and the handlebars, advised me on a lock purchase, and his employee even put on the lights. The next day I bought my helmet, which, sadly, is black, grey.... and pink. I've decided I can live it down, but pink would definitely not have been my first choice. Only, my head is too small for a uni-sex helmet, so I had to get a women's helmet.**

Luckily, I did all this bike and bike accessory purchasing before the 1st of May, so I have not yet had to spend money on public transportation this month. Which is why I got the bike in the first place. Today makes the third day I've taken my bike out, and although the seat isn't getting any comfy-er, I'm getting more comfortable on the road (and am I the only biker in Toronto obeying the laws?). I have even - get this - gone a different way home. Still getting used to seeing like a vehicle-conductor on the road (oh, wait! That's a crosswalk!). I take the back roads, the quiet ones, and the few with bike lanes, because I have a low opinion of drivers I've got plenty of sore muscles - some, even, that I'd conveniently forgotten I had. This might be in part because I have a single-speed. Tough going on those hills.

Anyways, that's the story. I plan on having lots more (safe) adventures on my bike this summer. I am now powering my own transportation!! I wonder if houses with solar panels are this proud to be green...





* I'd sort of forgotten how uncomfortable biking can be. I remembered, in that vague "I-remember-this-used-to-be-uncomfortable-in-some-way" way, but not really. Now, after riding my bike six times in the past four days, I remember quite clearly.

**It still puzzles me that things labeled "for women" are quite frequently pink. Haven't we gotten over the pink-is-female thing?

1 comment:

  1. Yay for bikes! Glad you've tried some different routes...and that fixie will get all your muscles back in shape :) As soon as you can afford it, you should do something about the seat: either a gel cover or a whole new seat...not sure how much the prices differ. Happy riding!

    ReplyDelete