Monday, May 11, 2009

Entertainment: Post-Philadelphia Notes

I thought about detailing some of the seminars I went to and some of the things I learned in each, but suffice it tosay that the topics covered in the seminars were myriad and many contained very useful information for an emerging professional.

Instead, I'll write about the more interesting entertainment aspect of the conference.

Firstly, I'd say the best experience I had at the conference that is related to entertainment (receptions count, yes?) was the International Attendees Reception. Many of those who attended were/are affiliated with ICOM (International Council of Museums) which I plan on checking out as soon as I remember to do so.

This is where I met a man who'd followed a speech by Jane Goodall, who convinced him to make wolf howls after she'd made chimpanzee calls, and a founder of the National Museum of the American Indian, a very dapper and intelligent gentleman. Also a Russian immigrant who directs a museum of food in Philadelphia and a former professor-turned-auction house employee.

One of the other evening events was somewhat of a disappointment: a scavenger hunt at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, with wine and nibbles. Though interesting, I perhaps did not make the most of the opportunity to run around the museum solving riddles. I suppose I got too interested in the artifacts, for one...

Outside the conference itself, my favorite place is the Market right across the street, where one can find dozens of vendors selling Turkish, Greek, Mexican and Amish fare, among others. Seafood vendors and butchers, candy and chocolate vendors... all present. Yumm.

I confess I didn't spend my evenings out on the town, learning more about Philadelphia's nightlife, etc. But I enjoy bottles of wine and conversation shared in hotel rooms just as much, if not more. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment