Monday, May 11, 2009

Networking: Post-Philadelphia Notes

The itinerary for the annual AAM conferenc reads like a lecture series, with seminars here, there, and everywhere.

One thing I learned about conferences is: the main purpose of going is not to attend seminars or lectures, but to meet people. How unusual. But no, I'm being facetious. In fact, more than one panelist mentioned the importance of networking and one even said the best experience she'd ever had at an AAM conference occurred when she did the most networking and meeting people. This is something I don't find comes naturally to me - meeting new people, that is. I've always thought that's been one of the more difficult social skills. Or maybe I'm just lazy. At any rate, I'm happy to report that I found it quite easy after all to start up conversations.

I met some very, very interesting people. A professor who changed careers to work at an auction house, a Russian immigrant who directs a museum on food, a founder of the National Museum of the American Indian, the director of an historic house outside Philadelphia... They all had many interesting things to say, and experiences and stories to relate. Some I will be contacting in the near future for advice or their expertise in one area or another.

One of the best tips I learned about networking while at the conference: Don't just exchange business cards. Write on the back - where you met that person, what conversation you had, etc. Any pertinent details that might help remind them who you are, and you who they are. Makes contacting them that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment