Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour 2011 - Go Beyond the Hour

First notice I had of this year's Earth Hour (and I haven't thought about it in at least a year, maybe more) was a glimpse I caught on a posted ad on the subway going home today.

The second was a tweet on Twitter by NatGeo, leading to this article.

I don't think I've every participated in an Earth Hour, in all the years it's been organized, but I like the idea (and check out the image of Hong Kong in the article - find 10 things that are different in the second photo...see more pictures).



I like to think I've been living greener than ever here in Toronto, partly because the city composts, partly because I have no access to a car, and due to a few other little things: having a bona fide thermos to take my coffee to school in; being too poor to afford ziploc bags or new leftover dishes; not having a dishwasher or laundry in my apartment. Of course, not all of these things automatically reduce my carbon footprint, but I re-use glass jars, wash my dishes without running the water except to fill the sink; and I avoid doing laundry until it is absolutely necessary.

Turning off lights is harder, but right now, for instance, the only light I have on is the one by my bed. I've unplugged all non-essential electronics, too.

So if I participate in Earth Hour this year, I'm sure it will be exciting worthwhile. If I don't, well, I won't feel too badly about it. I'll just remember to keep turning off lights I'm not using, for the rest of the year.

Details:
Saturday, March 26, 8:30pm - 9:30pm (local time)
The only rule? No lights!
See my new widget!

No comments:

Post a Comment