Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Green Drinking - Water, That Is.

There's information out there (Green Guides from two years ago was my source; but I'm sure elsewhere, too) that drinking bottled water is awfully hard on the environment. Here's another article, from 2010, with some quick facts (like this one: "The bottled-water industry is so successful, it has outpaced milk, coffee, and juice in number of gallons of drinks sold—putting it behind only beer and soda" about water bottle pollution.

Read down to the health section and you may never re-use a plastic water bottle again.

But, to get personal about this issue, I've had some interesting conversations about the "water bottles" I use. Everyone knows there are SIGGs and other aluminum bottles, which have become popular over the past few years... but when you carry around an old jar that used to have salsa in it (and still has the label on it, and a pepper on the lid) you get funny looks, raised eyebrows, and amused comments. Some of my friends have even laughed at my salsa water jar.

Yes, they're heavy, and yes, you get all those reactions from incredulous friends and acquaintances - but, I don't have to buy aluminum water bottles, and I get to re-use the glass jars that I buy at the grocery store, when they're not holding nuts or cream of wheat or other dry goods.

And, frankly, I like their uniqueness, their quirkiness. To all those with the raised eyebrows and incredulous looks - Yes. I proudly drink water out of salsa jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment