Sunday, March 13, 2011

Take Coffee, Add Indie Music...

... and you have a great evening in store. Or at least, that's how last night went for me. 

The line-up at my neighborhood coffee shop last night included two of my new favorites (I'd never heard either before): Emily Spiller and the Jessica Stuart Two, a temporary derivative of the Jessica Stuart Few. I know what I like in music, but I'm not a music critic, nor do I know much about describing music, so you won't find any details here, but check out these links to their websites, where you can sample some songs and buy CDs if you're so inclined.

One of my near and dear Toronto friends and I arrived a little late, sadly missing the opening numbers, but we did get to hear awesome music for the greater portion of three hours. Being late, we got front-row seats on the staple cozy vintage couch, about three to four feet away from the "stage." For the first time, I watched how a one woman manages to sound like a five-piece band and heard/saw a koto (a traditional Japanese instrument that is longer than I am tall, looks amazingly complicated to play, and sounds great with a bass).

So now I'm a huge fan of coffeehouse concerts, and can't wait to see more at the local hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment