Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum

On the last day of November (happy belated Advent!), I went shopping at Merrifield Garden Center, one of the most exciting places to shop for plants and such. I had earlier in November been introduced to a living Christmas tree, personally, which transformed a vague interest in living trees into determination to have one. I think the clincher was that one can start them small and keep them in a small pot until one is ready to grow it, which makes it ideal for a single young person living on her own. Although a bit heavy, it is remarkably easy to transport (a little easier than this). There are plenty of advantages to live Christmas trees, to which I'm happy to add the above, and main, reason that I chose one this year.

So I have my Christmas tree for the next three decades, which is one thing I won't have to worry about during future holiday seasons. I have a little bit of Christmas at my apartment, and when the season is over, I'll have a house companion. Kind of like a
cat, but much easier to take care of. And free of allergens.

After buying my new Christmas tannenbaum, I had to find decorations for it. Which proved to be harder than I thought, given that this tree is almost two feet tall. Putting normal-sized ornaments on this tree would have been like wearing earrings the size of baseballs. Uncomfortable, and unbalanced. So I eventually ended up at Target, on the advice of a friend, and fortunately they had several sets of ball ornaments cheap. Also, I picked up some mini
candy canes while I was there. The candy canes complete the decorations. Definitely they add a certain pizazz to my little tree. Also I now have a bunch of candy for the holidays. Especially satisfying since I missed out on Halloween candy this year...

The only thing missing is a star for the crown.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle and I actually have a little tree just like you described. Its in a pot, and enjoying the snow in our back yard. We were going to keep it inside for the winter, but it started to droop. As soon as we put it out in the snow, it happily returned to its usual perky green. Like yours, its about 2 feet tall, with ~6 branches, so we are probably just going to 1 string of lights on it and hope it doesn't catch on fire. :)
    I always had a living tree while I was growing up, and i have to say, the smell of fresh pine in the house throughout the holidays was always one of my very favorite experiences.
    Owning your own tree gives you the chance to see your tree grow throughout the years alongside you and your family. And also you don't have to kill one every year.
    -Ty

    ReplyDelete