Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Greenery

For all that e-cards save trees and paper, and even money (how much do stamps cost these days?), I would rather send the traditional snail-mail holiday cards, even if I do spend a dollar on every international stamp I use. They're more fun, and I still prefer getting mail in my real mailbox as opposed to emails. Emails are so common these days. And there's none of the romance a hand-written letter has. Not to mention the pretty holiday cards and envelopes.

Well. This year, I started a little late (blame the cookies) ... as in, I started today. Since it's a little too late to expect many people to receive the card before the end of December, I've gone with e-cards 100% this year. Although I did save time, money, and trees, I feel a little guilty about not spending more time on them, and a little sad that I didn't get to spend the time writing the holiday greetings and yes, even the addresses.

The good part about the e-cards is that they don't use consume fuel while traveling across the country/ocean, and they don't waste paper, destroy trees or get thrown out (accidentally or intentionally).

So I may not always be as green as this year when sending out holiday cards, but I will incorporate it at least a little every year from here on out.

Another "green" holiday activity I've started doing recently is to cut up holiday cards I've received in previous years and use them as To/From cards on gifts. Which reminds me. Received a package of gifts for others that included brown paper instead of packing peanuts, which has worked really well as wrapping paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment