Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Peanut Hotline. Or, How To Recycle Styrofoam Packing

A colleague of mine contacted me today about recycling some packaging peanuts she didn't want to waste. Previously this year I was handed a stack of stapled papers so that I could remove the dozens of staples before recycling the white paper (which is all that is officially recycled at the museum). My determination to re-use and recycle is well-known here. The offer was presented with a laugh, and I willingly spent the next 10 minutes de-stapling the pages by hand (I don't have one of those nifty staple-removers that remind me of the back end of hammers).

To get back to the main point of the story, I told my co-worker that I didn't actually have any idea how to recycle packaging peanuts, except to re-use them in later shipments. I offered to do a little research to find out how and where plastic loose fill can be recycled. Very quickly I found
The Plastic Loose Fill Council, which has a very convenient online form to find drop-off centers in your area. There is also the Peanut Hotline, which refers thousands of customers each month to nearby drop-off facilities for packing peanuts.

4 comments:

  1. You know a pair of scissors works wonders for staple removal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think about that. But then what about all the little triangles of white, recyclable paper that you end up with when you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not implying cutting off the corner, so much as pushing the blade of the scissors between the staple and the paper. Pulls it right out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, I hadn't thought of that. Clever idea.

    ReplyDelete