Wednesday, August 6, 2008

To Do: Train Fare to Boston

My vacation hours expire at the beginning of October, so right now I'm looking at spending those hours in faraway places. Well, sort of far away, at any rate. First on my list is Boston, then Nashville. Unfortunately, Nashville doesn't have a train station, nor are there any others in central Tennessee. Imagine my disappointment when I found out I couldn't take the train west, as in the olden days. "Go west, young man". Or something.

However. Boston has not one, but several train stations. I signed on for
Amtrak Guest Rewards, so by buying tickets within three months of joining, I get extra points (very like frequent flyer miles).

Probably most people have seen that commercial for the national railways, where they say one train can go 423 miles or so on one gallon of gas? Well, that's one reason I'm taking the train north. Also, it might be cheaper than flying, especially because I'm a last-minute planner. Not to mention the rising gas prices and extra costs and fees being placed on airlines (and thus customers). I just hope the scenery makes the nine hour trip enjoyable.

Lobster dinners, here I come!!

3 comments:

  1. Please mail me four lobsters. And also someone to cook them for me, I don't think I've the heart to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You clearly haven't thought about the resources involved in mailing four lobsters from New England to Colorado. There's the fuel for the trucks, the harmful pollution caused by the emissions from the trucks, and the postage, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then perhaps you could BRING me four lobsters when you realize that you want to visit Colorado after Boston. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete