Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Going Green at Wolf Trap, With the Backstreet Boys!!

I realize this makes me uncool in the extreme, but I definitely enjoyed myself last night at the Backstreet Boys concert.

Before you laugh so hard your drink exits through your nose, however, let me just point out that the concert was sold out, and attended by people of varying ages. And too many teenie-boppers in too-short dresses. But nevermind.

Girlicious started off the evening with hip hop beats that 'featured' stars like Sean Kingston (they made a recording, so he was there digitally, at least). For the uninitiated, Girlicious was created by the Pussycat Dolls. Essentially the same band, with maybe one fewer member and ten fewer years on them.

Then we waited, and waited.... and waited. Finally the house lights went down, the stage lights went up, and a voice announced... the Backstreet Boys! I still can't believe I actually attended their concert. To start, it was sort of a joke. "Ha ha, wouldn't it be funny if..."

Much to my surprise, they are (still) very good performers. They even opened with a blow-up boxing rink, where they did their uniform dance moves and pretended to battle. The dancing did not disappoint. Same stuff they used to do 10 (15?) years ago. Of course, they sang the classics (I'm sure everyone knows what they are ;), and plenty of songs I hadn't heard before (I wasn't that big a fan as a pre-teen). They all have their own solo thing going on now, so they sang some songs individually - AJ's had to be my favorite. At one point, he even came out wearing a Run DMC t-shirt, which I found particularly interesting. Some of his dance moves ought to be checked out on YouTube, if there are any videos up.

Throughout the whole concert there was much screaming, clapping, arm-waving, and singing, as there should be at any pop concert worth its speakers. And, to finish the night off on an especially good note, we left before the traffic got so bad we would have had to spend an hour in the parking lot. All in all, a very good, if late, night.

I feel I should also mention that Wolf Trap's concessions stands have gone green, with all biodegradable plastics and glass and plastic recycling. If you don't mind that they're made out of corn that people all over the world could be eating, go ahead and waste your money buying food in plastic containers at Wolf Trap. Though it is more fun to bring your own picnic (drinks and food allowed into the park).

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my last comment was supposed to say "This just proves that people named AJ are generally phenomenal" But I hosed up the grammar so bad I had to delete it...which negates my point. Damnz

    ReplyDelete