Tuesday, August 5, 2008

For Starters

Recently, I've done quite a few things a little bit differently, and a little bit greener. The most exciting one is probably shopping.

I enjoy fashion, so was initially hesitant for that reason about buying 'green' clothing. With so few companies that make them, and mainstream companies not necessarily buying into organic clothing, how fashionable and chic can they be? My first thoughts included hemp tunics and shapeless tie-dyed dresses. Not true, anymore. Although green clothing is becoming more popular, and more fashionable as a result, there's then the cost factor - my
Green Guides magazine priced some beautiful pieces of organic cotton, etc - at about $100 a piece!! That may be affordable for some, but probably not many, and certainly not me.

So I needed an alternative. Remembering a few trips to thrift stores in my poor, unemployed childhood, I buy used, instead! This weekend I took a shopping trip to a consignment shop I'd never been to before, and spent a couple hours trying on designer jeans, dresses, tops and bags, which were very affordable at their 1/3 off original price. Thrift stores have cheaper items, but consignment stores are good for brand names and designer labels, with slightly more expensive price tags. I can look good knowing that the clothes I bought have been rescued from the landfills, and are being re-used at least once more. The other advantage is I would still pay more to buy new clothes at the mall.

The other side of that coin is donating used clothing, which is something on my List of Things To Do. I have piles of acceptable, clean clothing at home that can be sold at a yard sale (initiative permitting) or donated to the local Goodwill.

To find thrift stores and consignment shops in your area, google 'best thrift store' with your zip code.

No comments:

Post a Comment