Monday, December 29, 2008

Post 55: Wherein the Author Finds She Has Too Many Books, and Resolves to Walk to the Library Instead

As usual this holiday season I've received at least one gift card to Barnes and Noble, a present that is always welcome, no matter how many times I receive it. I will always use a gift card on books. Most people who know me, know this.

My dilemma this year is as follows: I live in a tiny room, with only one bookshelf and one wall shelf. Although in my childhood room my books overflowed the bookshelves, I had four of them. And more space for overflow, such as windowsills, a window seat, and a very large desk. (NB: I have many many more books than I will ever need!) I occasionally bring even more books to my apartment from my childhood home, but have to start moving them the other way or my room will be positively overrun by books! Furthermore, I have decided (finally) to start cleaning out my room in my mom's house. So I need to stop buying books. Seriously. Being not only a reader but a bibliophile and a pack rat complicates this goal.

So how do I spend this gift money without buying more books? DVDs are a good alternative. There are even a few I want. Though I shouldn't start stocking up on DVDs, either.

Instead of buying books, I'm going to attempt to borrow more from the library. Even if it does mean I have to spend even more time outside in the cold, walking to and fro. Walking is good, it's healthy. So is fresh air. Which I will be telling myself every time I go.


Doesn't solve my gift-card/too-much-stuff problem, but it might prevent me from buying all the books I'd like to read, and I can focus my attention and money on buying the books I really will read more than once, and will really love. Some of the books I've taken off my old shelves this holiday have made me wonder why in the world I had to have them years ago. Others, old friends, read at least half a dozen times, will hopefully be with me until I settle down, wherever/whenever that happens.

Randomly, I don't think I've mentioned that I was completely impressed by Simeon Varlamov's first two games between the pipes in the NHL - and am looking forward to seeing him in net again soon! What a talented young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment