Sunday, September 12, 2010

Meeting My Advisor for the First Time

Toronto's advising program is great. They put every master's student (junior scholar) with an advisor whose interests match said student's interests.

My advisor is working, researching and teaching in my collaborative program subject area.

I sit down and we start chatting, and he keeps throwing out things about me that sound like they're from my application. So I notice he's done his homework (which is great, because I didn't), making it easier to converse and of course, draw me out on one of my favorite topics: me.

To wrap things up, I just want reiterate how much I really, really want to be studying this subject, so I suggest that he may remember in my application that I said this is one of the main reasons I decided to study at U of T. Without missing a single beat, he nods and says, "It was your first sentence."

I wanted to laugh. My first sentence? Seriously? Oh right, that's how desperate eager I was to get in. Sometimes I should give myself just a little more credit for, er, motivation.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment