Thursday, September 30, 2010

Trash in Toronto

I can't access the university website, so naturally, I'm not doing my homework.

After a long hiatus (how do you spell that?) from writing about what my blog is actually supposed to be about, I have another Greener Life post.

At home in the States, I thought my town was pretty avant garde for all the things they picked up in recycling bins. Books? Yep. Milk cartons? Totally. Newspapers, cardboard, tin cans? Of course!

Reality check. Toronto picks up your regular curbside trash, your regular curbside recycling... AND they pick up composting! It's taking me awhile to get used to putting my food scraps in a separate bag. Finally yesterday I got the little bin everybody uses. I feel so much... Greener ... than before.

So the deal is, they pick up trash and recycling on a bi-weekly (by that I mean once every other week) alternating basis. Compost, cleverly, they pick up every week.

They even have a "waste wizard" online to help out with the "what goes where" question.

I almost forgot: On the street, they even have separated bins for trash, different kinds of recycling, and often, special compartments for coffee cups! I challenge you to find another city that recycles coffee cups on the street. (Really, please share. Is it Canadian? Is it a west-coast mindset? A big city thing? I'm curious).

No comments:

Post a Comment