Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Spider Dance

Before I get to the Spider Dance, to assist my brain in remembering what I did today, I'm going to spend some time re-capping. Briefly.

I had a very busy day. I got coffee; met my advisor (outlook great, says my Magic 8 Ball), told life story; went swimming at Hart House, which has a small pool in a room with an arched ceiling (managed four back-and-forth laps of the pool); ran late to the Inforum tour, the faculty space where I'll be spending most of my time; hung out with some new friends; went to dinner with same friends; ate chocolate cake; killed two spiders.

So, the Spider Dance. Involves pacing the floor, while glancing around the room in search of useful, long weapon. Preferably long-handled broom. Muttering, swearing, whimpering. There's that noise, the one that sounds like the teakettle when the water's hot. Next, move a chair to a spot below but not directly underneath Spider. Pace back and forth with weapon (plastic clothes hanger). Pose on chair with arm outstretched, holding weapon as close to spider as possible. Mime killing action. Here, some more moaning, then step down from the chair. Pace. Step up. Stretch arm toward spider. Shudder. Step down. Repeat. Find towel to go over end of hanger and prevent Spider from dropping and disappearing. Finally, whining, half-closed eyes in "flinching" face, stab upwards at Spider with weapon. Repeat. Repeat. Step down, get rid of Spider carcass. Shiver, pace.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

P.S. The Spider Dance is usually performed in solitude (i.e. when there are no fearless non-Spider-hating killers or saviors to take care of it instead).

1 comment:

  1. An even better spider story can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/ydz8c54

    ReplyDelete