Monday, September 8, 2008

Boston, Day 4: the MFA

Got up early this morning to have breakfast (coffee yummm and cereal) and headed over to visit with my other family in Topsfield. Got a tutorial from my eleven year-old cousin on how to solve a Rubik's cube - apparently she and her brother watched a video on YouTube which explained the theories and "algorithms" behind solving the puzzle. The whole thing was very impressive, and way over my head.

After a game of Bananagrams (in ways, much more fun than Scrabble) and headed into Boston to see the
MFA, where I dragged my poor cousins through the sections full of ancient Egyptian, Greek and Roman art and history. The Greek pottery was interesting - such fascinating subjects painted on pots, vases and amphoras. We also got to see the exhibit on Art Nouveau Jewelry, which included plenty of beautiful pieces. Made me want to go jewelry shopping! Also I've decided someday, when I have a place for it, I'm going to find a replica amphora of red figured Greek pottery, or whatever the technical term is.

That evening, we stopped by the Gelateria in North End to have traditional Italian-style ice cream (I missed it; it's much better than American ice cream, IMO)

The train ride home was long, but uneventful. It's almost good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment