Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Trials And Tragedies of Growing a Vegetable Garden: Story of a Pumpkin

This year, at the Navy Museum, I participated in a children's program on Earth Day, whose purpose was to create "victory gardens" (click the link for Wikipedia's definition). Victory gardens began during World War II, as efforts to reduce pressure on the public food supply. Families were asked to create their own vegetable, fruit and herb gardens so canned and other goods could be sent overseas to the sailors and soldiers fighting in the war.

Out of all the seeds we had available, I decided to grow a pumpkin. Though I must admit, I decided in part because I expected it to fail. Ironically, it succeeded beyond my expectations, and to make a long story short, I now have a pumpkin plant growing in my backyard. Along with tomatoes and bell peppers, but that's another story.

Before long, I noticed my pumpkin had a disease called powdery mildew. Not fun stuff. Spreads fast, and according to the gentleman who helped us at the garden center, also always in the air. So I'm growing this mini-vegetable garden, which reduces my dependence on packaging and emissions while increasing oxygen production and other good natural things, while at the same time, produces free produce for me to enjoy! (Hopefully, eventually we'll get that far).

Also, at the store today I was shown a chemical spray to help get rid of the mildew. Fortunately the gentleman I mentioned above happened by just about the same time I asked what damages the product might have on the environment, and he pointed me toward a brand called Safer, whose active ingredient is sulphur, which also gets rid of the mildew, and is organic! Yay!

So now I'm fixing the mildew problem, I need to get started on rodents. Something ate my only pumpkin. Yes, I had a pumpkin, it was bigger than a softball but smaller than a basketball, and I came home one evening, and it was gone. This was only two days after I discovered it, mind. So the next project is a fence of some kind. I think we're going to re-use the bamboo we're trying to get rid of, as stakes, and wrap some wire mesh around it. But if any knowledgeable gardeners happen to read this, I would appreciate suggestions of better methods.

So far, I think the bell peppers and tomatoes are doing alright. Gardening is harder work than I thought! Turns out it's not just digging, planting and weeding.

2 comments:

  1. While I personally don't do any gardening (what is the opposite of a green thumb?) Here are a few wobsites that you might find use for
    My Folia
    Common pitfalls
    Conserving Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's black, but I'm not positive. Thanks, will investigate suggested websites.

    ReplyDelete