Saturday, January 3, 2009

In Search of Wool Slacks

After searching through three thrift and consignment shops for a nice pair of wool slacks that actually fit me, have resigned myself to the realisation that I need to buy them new. Have come woefully close to finding just the right pair, and have failed each time.

Shopped at the largest Goodwill I have ever been in, where I tried on several things and ended up with one... for a whopping $5. Gotta love thrift stores for economic wardrobe-updating. Unless one is looking for a nice pair of wool slacks.

Off to the January sales soon... no doubt to spend too much money on more new clothes...

...

Never claimed to perfectly adhere to the Ideals of Green.

3 comments:

  1. I don't see how buying 2nd hand clothes is green necessarily. Aside from the fact that you prevent said pants going to the landfill.
    I've been trying to buy clothes made from renewable materials and green-conscious companies, the most stylish of which I have found so far is REI believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Buying clothes made from renewable materials and green-conscious companies is excellent. Especially if they create less waste as green-conscious manufacturers.

    To spell out why I buy secondhand clothes, there are two main reasons:

    1. The clothes I buy don't go to the landfill after the first wear. Sometimes these clothes aren't even more than gently used. Which is sending an almost-new product to a landfill to sit for hundreds of years, when it could used by me instead. (And being me, I might even find a way to recycle them before I throw them away)

    2. I'm not always buying (i.e. supporting) clothing manufacturers who turn out millions of items of clothing in months and ship them across the country/countries to be sold. That's energy and waste from production and also from transportation.

    NB: I do realise that this would be more effective if I only bought secondhand clothes, but I am also a product of my society.

    Lastly, the three R's are Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. By buying used clothes, I'm actually doing all three (as long as I manage to recycle them at the end). I'm reducing the amount of new clothing I buy and keep, I'm re-using some of what I buy, and recycling it when I'm finished. Recycling is actually the worst place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm...well I don't take it quite as far as you do. I don't buy 2nd hand clothes, mostly because I am too germ phobic for that, but I never ever throw away clothes. All of it goes to the salvation army. Unless it's un-wearable, like holey socks.
    -Ty

    ReplyDelete