Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Shootouts... and Really Bad Eggs

So lately I've been thinking through a few things, mostly involving the near future: where I'm going to live next year, how to work out the 6 months interim between the day I don't have a job anymore (at this point, obviously I'll think of something) and the time my lease runs out; what I want to study, when I want to get my graduate degree, and where I want to do that; and most immediately (and more interestingly than all the others), where am I going to go on vacation this year? And how many vacations can I fit in...

More on all of that later. For now, this article has a bit in common with the last I posted in that it's depressing and frustrating. It is relevant to the long involved sentence above in that I may change my current vacation plans as a result.

The apartment search is looking rather grim, because the city and neighborhood of my choice apparently has one of the highest median income rates in.the.country. Which leaves me on the poor end of the scale. It's slightly discouraging to realize I qualify for tax-credit communities for the first time in my life. My choices are: live with roommates, or find another town. It's going to be a tough decision.

I haven't even gotten to the point of thinking constructively about school yet, so that's going nowhere fast. Which is kind of okay for now.

Went to the Capitals vs. Flyers game last night. The fans had an Incredible time of it. The Caps played better defensively than they can, Jose Theodore was stunningly on his game tonight (YAY THEO!!) - so much so that on the way out, fans chanted "Theo Theo...", which doesn't happen often. Though the offense didn't really click, that doesn't mean the fans didn't. Boy, did we have fun. Especially warring with the Flyers fans:

(Flyers fans): Let's Go Flyers"
(Caps fans, in overlapping fashion): "Flyers SUCK"

Ah yes. We yelled, chanted and cheered till we were hoarse, and clapped till our hands tingled.
And good times were had by all.

...

Except for maybe the Flyers. Vengeance is sweet, especially served cold, over ice. Or so I hear.

3 comments:

  1. "revenge is a dish best served cold"
    you're killin me.
    also, come to CU! tis goot.
    and as for vacations, take a train. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh stop being such a stick-in-the-mud. Cliche's are old, overused, and not as interesting as finding new ways to say it.

    I'm currently thinking trains. Cheap fares to lots of places. I feel like this could be a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite memories of fan camaraderie at Avs games is back during the height of the Avs/Redwings rivalry, it didn't matter WHO we were playing, "Redwings Suck" was the chant shouted by fans at every opportunity.

    I imagine the fans of the opposing team were generally somewhat confused by this.

    ReplyDelete