Monday, April 27, 2009

Earth Day Reprise

Contrary to my earlier, premature post, I did end up doing something Earth Day-related last Wednesday. One of my favorite educational programs at the museum is Victory Gardens (see this post for more details)

Last year on Earth Day I helped children make their own victory gardens, which really was a lot of fun. This year, I had other work to do, but I did manage to take a quick break to make one of my own (if anyone remembers my pumpkin and other vegetable garden experiment, that started out as a victory garden). This time, the seed options were more limited, but I chose alfalfa sprouts, which I consider to be very yummy on sandwiches and in salads. It's currently residing in the bottom half of a regular, small water bottle. I planted them last Wednesday, and already today I think I might need to get a bigger holder for them! I have so many little sprouts they pushed up a pile of dirt. I'd love to have a sprout garden, so I could just cut out sprouts and put them in my lunchtime sandwiches/salads .... Well, I'm quite pleased at any rate. Especially that Earth Day didn't pass completely unobserved by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment