Thursday, June 10, 2010

Childhood Snapshot: Road Trip to Washington State

While I was in Toronto, I met a Canadian who wants to travel the States. He started asking me about all the places I'd been in the states, and a road trip my family took when I was a child came up. My dad loved road trips, and on summer vacations (he worked for the school) he would pack us all into the car to travel a route of his choosing. Usually we spent two weeks at it.

We drove to Nova Scotia; Jekyll Island, Georgia; Orlando, Florida (yes, and Disney World); and Washington State, where my dad's brother lives.

I remember being disappointed we weren't going to pass by the Grand Canyon and the point where four states meet. Instead, we took the northern route. In my conversation with the Canadian, I mentioned the national parks we went to. Only, I couldn't remember where they were, other than a vague, "Montana?"

Thinking about that today, I googled a map of the national parks to find out. Curiosity, and all that. What's fascinating is that on a map of the U.S. I can trace our general route by the national parks we visited. From Washington, D.C. through cow-and-corn country, via the Badlands in South Dakota with a stop at Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills, past the Little Bighorn Battlefield and Crazy Horse National Monument in eastern Montana, through Yellowstone in Wyoming on the border with Montana and Idaho, and to northern Montana and Glacier National Park.

I think it's possible we hit just about every national park in that part of the U.S. And after all that research and remembering, I want to go on a road trip again.

No comments:

Post a Comment