Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Changes

I used to Metro to work. I even liked it, some days. Maybe even half the time. And I walked halfway. I enjoyed that walk, in every season but winter.

These days, things have changed. The only walk I have is the walk from my car to the building, and I don't use public transportation at all. I do get a pass onto the HOV lanes, because I drive a clean-fueled Civic Hybrid, but I hardly feel that's a really "green" activity, given I'm not actually carpooling.

The not-green advantages to driving to work:
I've learned how to parallel park, and pretty well, too. Something that needs to be self-taught around here, frustratingly - I know I for one didn't get tested on that before getting my license. The downside to this advantage? Nobody else knows how to, either. Advantage number two: the commute is much shorter, cut about in half. Thirdly, my route takes me down the GW Parkway, which is leafy and comes with a view of the river.

I soothe my conscience by remembering that I do drive a Hybrid, and that I won't be making this drive for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment