Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mess and Biscuits

Yesterday, for some unexpected and inexplicable reason, I started to crave biscuits while watching Big Fish (honestly, biscuits don't play even a bit part in the movie). Having made them before, I figured, piece of cake. Only something went wrong. After sliding them in the oven on my admittedly dodgy baking tray, which only as two raised edges, I sat down with a glass of wine and pressed play on the movie, which I planned to watch for the ten minutes of baking time. Before half that time passed, I heard crackling and buzzing coming from the oven. The butter (all that yummy melty butter) was dripping off the edge to the bottom of the oven! The gas oven, I might add, with the fire at the bottom? Familiar? So I slid my other baking tray underneath it, which stopped the fizzing, but not the smoking. Oh, that smoke and heat. I spent the next hour off and on, fanning my smoke detector with a messenger bag, oven mitt (not the best tool) and kitchen towel. Opened my windows, turned on the fans, and still sniffed a bit of smoke this morning. To top it all off, I ended up with too-crispy biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment