Friday, November 21, 2008

More on My Love/Hate Relationship with Heating Appliances

It appears to be a bad winter for heaters.

I probably shouldn't count my own situation at home, because my little space heater is doing just fine. Brought my room temp from 58 to 68 this morning. I'm so proud. But that I had to buy one adds to the instances in which heaters have appeared in my life. They haven't played a big role before this year.

Heat at the museum, where most of my coworkers spend their days, is non-existent. Luckily my office isn't as cold, but I've heard stories (and seen evidence firsthand) about blankets used to keep warm at desks. I have a space heater in my office (slightly illegal, as we all know) and so do half a dozen others I know of.

Just had a story this morning about a friend whose heater died last night, and then was revived, only to overreact in its new lease on life and stay on for two straight hours, making the room temperature a steamy 98. She said she opened her front door to bring in some cold air; I would have opened my windows, too.

Now. It might seem to some that I'm a little hung up on these heating appliances, but I'm not. I swear. I predict that my next post will have an entirely different subject.

2 comments:

  1. how's the auto temp feature working out? Useful? I suspect you didn't use it overnight, because if you had your room wouldn't have ever gotten to 58°.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. And I probably won't. But it works, and I like it. I don't think it gets to all the room all the time, but I can't really expect that. and 68 isn't a bad temp to be at. Not ideal, but not bad. I can time it, too. Haven't really done that yet.

    ReplyDelete