Friday, November 21, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Young Granny

Last night the Caps played again in California. This time against the LA Kings. Originally, the game was scheduled to start at 10. I'm pretty positive about that. But it's like those dreams I sometimes have, where later I convince myself what happened in my dream happened in real life- only it didn't. Conversations about those dreams are super-fun and occasionally awkward.

To get back to the point, I found out last night at 10:04pm that I had to wait "another 26 minutes" until the game started. Blargh. I have enough trouble staying up to watch the first period when the game begins at 10. I pretty much had no chance last night. Because I'm a granny, and I need at least 7 hours of sleep to function properly the next day.

Lately I've been getting annoyed with the Capitals announcers, because they're all about "color", I think it's called. Sure, the trivia and jokes make the game more entertaining to watch when the games themselves lack action and excitement, but seriously, they almost never announce the actual plays in the game. So, based on my experience when I was out at IKEA last week, I tried to listen to the radio coverage of the game. (Last week I was at IKEA again, my favorite store. We were out late, and then with traffic and accidents on the Beltway would have missed most of the game were it not for the AM radio.)

Turns out the radio is a few seconds ahead of the TV.

So I watched some of the first period, and when the little voice in my computer screamed "he scores!" I looked up, only to think I'd missed the play. A few seconds later I saw the goal. Duh.

After the first period I turned off the TV and got ready for bed, listening to the game in my room. Tried to stay awake another 20 minutes, which isn't that long... and completely failed. I'm going to blame my new down comforter.

So I hear that the Caps were still in the game in the third period, which is good to know considering the final score of 2-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment