Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes We (Still) Can Change

I suppose I'll jump on the bandwagon (read this and this) and cheer for Obama, who as President-elect of the United States of America, is our hope for the future.

I would like to mention that expectations for his success are extremely high. In Obama's own words, we as an American people, can change the course of the future. He has just accepted one of the most powerful positions in the world, and from there will have ample opportunity to create positive change, but he won't succeed without help. Sure, he'll have his advisors - but let's all ride the wave of enthusiasm, participation and hope by continuing to act. Voting Yes to Obama was only the first step. Don't lose momentum now!

I know as a young professional, I personally felt more involved and important in this election than I did four years ago. Whether that's due to an individual adjustment, or the historical aspect of this campaign, or even Obama's appeal to the youth of our nation, I'm not sure. Most likely it's a result of all three. Perhaps it also has something to do with my being in the country.

At any rate, as a result, I followed the campaigns, and the election. I voted. I know many other contemporaries who did as well. I intend to continue to participate in creating our future, and I hope others feel the same. We can notify our congresspeople of changes we want and problems we see; applaud or protest actions taken (or not taken) by the government. By continuing to act, we can continue to make a difference.

There is no better time than now. Actively support this opportunity, and we will BE the change.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, who needs no introduction: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

6 comments:

  1. quite quite.
    I would say however that due to the average reader age of your blog, its kinda like preaching to the choir. What we need to do is make sure our older, and younger friends are as enthused as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. I think people of every age are more likely to talk about changes than they are to act. How many people our age do you know who volunteer? Who really work for a cause? How many who helped out with the campaign? Who have written a letter to a congressperson? What about anyone who has physically protested (peacefully, I hope) something they disagreed wtih? I know I haven't done much of that yet.. have you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add, how many people our age do what they believe to be right even when it is inconvenient? (take recycling, for example: if there are no recycle bins nearby, do we take our plastic water bottle home, or do we throw it out in the nearest trash can?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we take it home! good god!
    I actually have to actively venture to find a recycle bin for my soda cans. And more often than not when I get to the bin, there are cans in the trash right next to it because it has a wider opening and is easier to toss them into. And before you ask, yes, I pull them out and put them in the recycle.
    Politically however, aside from voting and encouraging those around me to have an opinion, I have not done much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You take it home Ty, but you are from the Republic of Boulder and you've got a more jaded view of the world than most. We're used to doing the extra thing to recycle, or reduce, or reuse, but I really don't think that's a national standard among our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adge would be right on that one. There are definitely some "republics", to re-use that entertaining term, that as a whole are more conscious of the environment. I would add at least San Fran.

    I suppose one might hope that there are pockets of politically active youth as well. I would venture to guess that Washington might be one, but don't know for sure.

    P.S. I love your comment about taking other people's recycling out of the trash to recycle it.

    ReplyDelete