Friday, November 14, 2008

Responsibility

Is recycling a responsibility? Yes. To nature, to all living things on Earth, and to the future generations of said life.

For whom should recycling become a responsibility, and who should recycle?
Individuals, corporations, government - everyone plays a part.

Is it always convenient, or an easy responsibility to perform? No. Sometimes counties, cities, municipalities, apartments, condominiums, or neighborhoods don't have the most convenient or complete recycling programs on offer.

Does this mean that people should only recycle when it's convenient? Emphatically, no! If everyone only did what was convenient in every aspect of his or her life, then our societies would be in chaos. Imagine a father not caring for his children because it's inconvenient. Or a daughter not looking after her aging mother because it's not convenient. Try employers not going to work because it's inconvenient. What about corporations who don't look out for their employees because it's easier and more convenient to look out for the big head at the top? Or people as a whole not participating in government elections and procedures because maybe it's not convenient to stand in line for four hours just to cast a vote. There are other examples I haven't listed, but I'm sure the idea comes across.

I have now taken on the responsibility of recycling for my whole apartment (that's three people total, and a lot of recycling!). Because, my roommates don't worry about recycling - it's not a concern of theirs, that the landfills grow bigger every day, that toxic chemicals are left sitting around, that plastic and styrofoam are left to decay over thousands of years. Granted, I'm not perfect - I bought a coffee this morning that came in a styrofoam cup. Had I thought of that as I passed Starbucks, I may have changed my mind and bought coffee there. I didn't.

What bothers my roommates are appearances. So having bags of recycling in the kitchen and the living room bothers them, because it doesn't look pretty. Nevermind that the landfills are much, MUCH uglier than our crowded kitchen. The other reason for their lack of motivation to recycle is that our apartment has just the bare minimum of recycling bins set out in the basement. So in order to recycle most of what we don't throw away (which is paperboard, as opposed to glass and plastic, and white paper, as opposed to newspapers) must be recycled at the local recycling center. Read
here to find out more about recycling in your area. Our center is only about four blocks away, a two minute drive... a trip I can't make by myself, as I don't own or have regular use of a car. Though I am going to look in to Zipcars. Someday. I may be able to walk to the grocery store, but there's really no practical way to walk to the recycling center, with all the recycling we have.

But. My roommates don't care to drive there. Because they just don't want to. Personally, I think sorting and throwing things into bins and or dumpsters is kind of fun, especially if you're along with a friend. I'm not the only one, either. Well, I've looked for the quote and can't find it, but to paraphrase: Will Ferrell has said he looks forward to driving up to the recycling center in his plug-in hybrid.

They don't have the time, yet there are 24 usable hours in every day (watch Empire Records to find that quote). Sure, subtract some hours for sleep, and on weekdays some for work, and for hanging out - how many people don't have downtime during the week? An hour? That's all it takes.

So, even though I'm not as concerned about appearances as my roommates, I am the only one who cares about the future of the planet. Did I mention I turn off lights we're not using? And I make sure the TV and cable are off when we're not using them? And I unplug appliances that aren't in use, even if they're off. Pat yourself on the back if you do, too. Because degrees of cleanliness reflect on one's immediate surroundings, and on a small, small part of our individual worlds, but recycling positively affects our entire Earth, and everyone in it.

4 comments:

  1. Stacey, this is a problem I have that you might be able to help me with, and is most likely relevant to your blog.

    I work at ULA on the Lockheed Martin Waterton Campus. LM has a cafeteria on campus (very convenient even if the food sucks). The only problem, ALL of the dishware for take away is Styrofoam. Cups for water, soda, whatever. Bowls, plates, to-go cartons, tiny salad plates, to-go soup bowls, and all plastic silverware. They have regular dishware for in-cafeteria dining, but most don't use it so that they can take their leftovers home or back to their desk. One time, I ordered a custom sandwich (BLT with egg salad on it) and they refused to give it to me on a plate...because they had to write the word "egg" on the top of the carton so the lady at the checkout counter would remember to charge me for it. Never mind that there was egg salad visibly coming out of the sandwich. On top of that, no recycle bins in the cafeteria. None. None for cans, none for bottles, nothing.

    I would expect that the company can get pressed paper (egg crate) to-go dishware and it will be (much) stronger, and I should think cheaper no?

    Since I don't technically work for the company that owns the cafeteria (LM) I can't just bring it up to my superiors.

    My question is this: Is there an environmental watch program that deals with this kind of thing? Somewhere I can make an anonymous report and have them recommend something? or at least put them on a black-list like the BBB does for mis-behaving companies?

    Its been nagging me for a while now, and if I can get this to their attention before I leave, I would feel much better.
    -Ty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty, will follow up on this and get back to you. How long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. until January, but I suppose I can report them anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ty,

    I have found a few resources for you to look at.

    There is a Capitol Watch program through www.ourcolorado.org which has tips for writing letters to the editor and to your representatives, if you decide you'd like to go that route.

    www.cafr.org and www.colorado.gov (your state's website) have some information as well. The latter should have information about state programs.

    Possibly the most useful website I found is www.nrc-reccle.org, specifically

    http://www.nrc-recycle.org/coca-colanrcbingrantprogram.aspx

    This explains the details of a grant program, through an online application. Good idea, but because you don't actually work for LM, I'm not sure that would work. Though you could always try. The grant provides actual recycling bins instead of funds, so you could be sure the grant wouldn't get lost in someone else's pocket.

    Lastly (and probably this should be your first option) I would suggest going straight to Lockheed Martin, and politely mention (this is where the tips on writing letters may come into play, or you could look up tips for writing formal - suggestions - to companies.

    Check this out: http://www.lockheedmartin.com/aboutus/energy_environment/performance_and_goals.html

    They obviously have a commitment to recycling, which you should bring up when you suggest that they include a recycling program at their cafeteria.

    Now, I was unable to find contact information for this kind of inquiry, but you may have more channels available to you onsite.

    Perhaps you might also find a suggestion/complaints box at the cafeteria itself.

    How's this for starters? I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete