Monday, November 24, 2008

THE Musem of American History, Renewed - For Better, or For Worse?

The National Museum of American History just re-opened on the National Mall in Washington, DC this past Friday. As part of the Smithsonian Institution, it has an excellent reputation to live up to - even though reviews it received before remodelling were negative.

So I've been looking forward to this re-opening for months now, cultural history being the most interesting kind of history in my opinion.

Then, I read something like this.

I never read movie reviews before I go see a movie because I'm very easy to please when it comes to moving pictures entertainment, and often the critics are, well - very critical. So I will go see this museum, even though I've read a disappointing reveiw of it. And what do you know, I may like it. I'm sure it will be an educational experience no matter what impression I end up with.

2 comments:

  1. Critics chagrin me quite a bit, I always seem to disagree with them. One of my favorite quotes about critics comes from a pseudo-critic: "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." - Anton Ego

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to let critics influence my desire to see or not see a movie. I may feel disheartened if something I was excited for is tanking with critics, but I like to form my own opinions regardless. On occasion, if critical consensus is overwhelmingly negative I will save my $10 dollars and wait for the DVD. (not exactly an option with a museum though ;) )

    ReplyDelete