Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advent, Day 15: Unexpected Delights, Christmas and Otherwise

I had a wonderful day today. I traversed what feels like the entire city, getting on two streetcars and at least four subway trains, probably more. I have a new friend who's from Toronto, and she's been showing me all the neatest places to eat, shop, ice skate, and even get my hair cut!

We started out at Williams Sonoma, where I bought mulling spices. Then we went to La Bamboche, which has incredibly delicious desserts and quiche and coffee. We subway-ed down to Queen St, where we checked out my friend's favorite clothing store (with too many lovely clothes!), and walked around in that area, doing some shopping and browsing. We then headed over to Nathan Phillips Square, where we ice skated outdoors, under Christmas lights and hanging stars and a beautiful cityscape. I'll have to wander back one night and take photos, if I have time. On the way to dinner (a great Punjabi restaurant near Chester station) we stopped by the Bay to window-gaze, because they have such intricate dioramas of Christmas scenes with Santa and elves and 19th century characters. Also the poor little elves slaving away and Mrs. Claus serving her hubby, but who's complaining? Some photos of the windows can be seen here. While we ate, it started snowing, and I walked home in the crunchy, squeaky snow. Which oddly feels like walking on sand...

A very long, very pleasant afternoon and evening, all 'round.

No comments:

Post a Comment