Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Tale of Two Networking Opportunities

The first networking opportunity: Having volunteered at a CRRS (Center for Reformation and Renaissance Studies) conference on Book History and Print Culture back in October, I received an invitation to a gratitude reception that took place last week. I went alone, expecting to see a few people I knew, but also  knowing I'd have to make an effort to network and meet new people. I was welcomed by the people I knew, and introduced myself to a woman sitting alone on a couch - we chatted. I learned from one of the women I'd worked with at the conference that there is an opportunity coming up for interdisciplinary work with CRRS, with which I hope to get involved.

The second: A couple of months ago, new to Toronto, I came across the alumni club for my old university, and made up my mind to go to their next event, which was held last night. After much internal deliberation (The semester ends on Friday, and of course I have mountains of work) I decided not to back out in cowardly fashion. I expected a similar experience to the one I'd had earlier this week, but nothing could be further from reality. From the moment we walked in, we were welcomed, our names given, received and remembered, and everyone there made an effort to talk to the new people and find out who we were, etc... in short, they are wonderful people. I made two networking connections in addition to the social connections I hope to keep. I sincerely look forward to their next event, a Burns' Night celebration in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment