Thursday, October 30, 2008

Economy and The Saving of Energy Versus Warmth: Where is the Line?

For me, the line is drawn significantly in front of freezing in the office. Just moments ago, I had on three layers, one of which is some kind of wool blend, and fingerless gloves, also a wool knit blend (%60 wool, %20 angora, %20 acrylic), and I still felt cold! I have decided to put my coat on, even though it somewhat restricts my shoulder movment, and confuses my keyboard into opening strange windows. My fingernails are not blue, not yet, but they feel as though they might be.

How does Lucky say it, in 101 Dalmatians? "My nose is froze, my toes are froze, my ears are froze..." I've misquoted, for sure, but the point remains the same. Nobody should have to wear her coat in the office. Coats are for outdoors. There was a day not too long ago, on which I can remember noting the fact that I didn't even have to button up my (winter) coat, before going outside - because it. already. was.

Thankfully, I am not working in the museum, whose thermometers yesterday measured the cozy temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit. But with all the people coming and going from our building, and our position right next to the foyer, and the glass wall that forms part of the exterior wall, it's still not warm.

Now, I'm all for saving energy, and if that means not having a really nice 72 degree temp in the home or office, I can handle that. But 60 degrees I definitely do not do. Nor do I appreciate 65 degrees. In fact, whenever I feel cold and prickly all day long, I'm not comfortable, and quite frequently as a result, do not work productively. There's an old saying that seems relevant here, although it leaves the audience with a negative impression of the speaker/writer: "I can't work in these conditions!" Quite literally, I can't. Just like when a person has to pee really badly, the discomfort of being cold completely overrides all other thought processes. All I think about is how cold my fingers are, and how uncomfortable wearing my coat for 5 hours is, and even how cold my toes (in socks and boots!) feel.

Color me unimpressed and very cold, and unproductive. Did I mention irritated?

1 comment:

  1. haha. Im glad there's someone out there who feels as I do.
    Get this,
    the AC is on right now.
    no shitting. so not only is Lockheed/ULA wasting energy, they are wasting energy to make a building cold IN WINTER!!!!
    I actually keep a hoodie at my desk. and yesterday, had it on my legs, and my fleece on my torso. and as you have stated, my fingers were still cold. I often go outside, even in this late season to WARM UP!!! You know what the problem is? no windows that can open. An open window is probably the best, and cheapest, and easiest temperature moderation device known to man. But they don't have openable windows because it will (and I quote) "throw off the thermal equilibrium of the building." If thermal equilibrium is AC full blast during the winter, then I say to hell with it!

    ReplyDelete