Friday, October 31, 2008

Ghost Ship Barry

Forgot to write this post last week, but here it is.

Last Friday, The Navy Museum had an event they call "Ghost Ship Barry". Which pretty much explains what it is: a haunted ship. Last year I missed out because I was visiting family in Michigan, but this year had the opportunity to go.

My co-workers, who organized part of the event, mostly the games and candy for the kiddies, used the term "given free reign" when referring to the sailors who had altogether too much fun scaring willing customers.

Going through with one other friend, at a lull in the traffic, was a bit lonely - and possibly creepier. I was elected to go first, which in my opinion is not the scariest position, but anyway. Probably what set the tone for my first trip through (yes, we went twice) was what happened when we encountered the very first ghoul. I hopped down the stairs, turned a corner, and walked halfway down the hall before my friend shrieked. I turned around, and look! There's a man all dressed in black with fake blood running down his face. Oooh. So we're stopped before we even start, have to wait while someone alerts all the creepy people to get ready to scare.

The first time, we walked through pretty quickly, I think mostly because I didn't want to stick around and wait for goblins and dead people to pop out at us. Lots of them were hiding behind black curtains, or on the other side of glass walls (we were on a ship, remember). Apparently something followed my friend for a while, and kept putting claws on her shoulder and whatnot. At one point, I turned around and he tried it with me, and I said, "oh hi there!". Someone else banged on the walls quite a bit, and then at one point one of them, I think he was trying to show us the way, flashed a little red light in my eyes. Not nice. Nor scary. Mostly though, the whole time through, I kept cracking up at how scared my friend was. She caught the brunt of the scaries, and I don't think I was in the right frame of mind... So I spent our first run through laughing.

The second time, we'd added one more person, and I ended up going first again. This time we cruised through a little more slowly, so the creatures had more time to scare my buddies. The second time worked out better in terms of scare-factor. I had someone hanging onto my purse (my "luggage") from behind almost the whole way, which actually freaked me out at the beginning. The scariest part though, had to be when I saw someone all dressed in black ahead, and he fell down to his hands and feet and started rapidly crawling towards us. Remember, I was in the front! And he didn't stop! I thought he'd stop, but he got right up to me, and then melted away. Also, the fake spiderwebs got to me. I know, I know, they're fake. Evidently that doesn't make a difference.

All in all, a very fun evening. Though I'm sure the sailors had more fun than anyone who went through the ghost ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment