Saturday, October 25, 2008

Environmental Do-Gooding

I planted my first tree today! Got up before the sun, made my way to DC to work with Casey Trees, an organization that helps restore the urban tree canopy. Good thing they had coffee, and even though I arrived early, I didn't have to wait long for a hot cup. Styrofoam-ish, but what can you do. I hope eventually the improvements I make by helping to plant trees outweighs the styrofoam cups I've used. Though next time I may bring my own mug.

Our tree was perfect. Well, nearly. Straight, but with a slightly crooked trunk, nearly deep enough in the ground. We had to deal with massive root systems left behind by ground cover and an earlier generation of trees. Lifted out a root-and-dirt carpet about 5 inches deep at one point. The trees our team planted were sugar gum, which I'd never heard of before, but they're quite pretty with star-shaped leaves and closely resemble the maples that we were replacing.

I learned how to use a pick-ax. Not sure I'm entirely comfortable with them, but they're not difficult. Just want to be careful not to puncture anyone. Could cause a nasty wound.

Got dirty and looked like a vagabond on the Metro ride home, and didn't feel the cold for at least an hour, we were working so hard. That's the first time in a long time I've had a chance to play in the dirt. All for a charitable cause, too. Can it get any better?

In the end, I can't write enough positive things about this new experience. Furthermore, I'm proud of having accomplished something as unique as planting a tree. What a great and productive way to spend a Saturday morning. Probably this is something I'll do more than just the once.

Before I sign off, a nod to Tyler Sloan, who tonight scored his first NHL goal while playing for the Caps in Dallas. Let's Go Caps!

No comments:

Post a Comment