Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Filling in the Gaps Between Now and Nashville

Dear Readers,
(yes, all four of you!)

My sincerest apologies for disappearing for so long. While in Nashville, I had very limited access to the internet. I came back, found myself very busy, and then came down with a cold.

(As I watch the debate: entitlements? And who hasn't given up on social security already? Who seriously expects change without having to pay for it? There's an old saying about free lunch...)

In between now and Nashville, I have spent time in diverse ways. I'm going to start from the end, and work my way back to the beginning. This weekend, I went hiking in the Shenandoah. The main point of the expedition was to catch the predatory bird migration; according to my guidebook, thousands of hawks can be seen flying overhead in one day. Unfortunately, all we saw were black vultures circling high above us. The hike was short but sweet, and challenging, as that was day 2 of the cold. The trees have started turning here in Virginia, but I will need to go again when the leaves change and become even brighter. Nature is without a doubt the best part about hiking; it helps calm and center me, and lifts some of the stress from my life. The combination of dirt, sun, trees, fresh air, birdsong and insect noises creates a soothing environment. It also serves as an excellent reminder of the reasons to make changes to help save the environment. Fortunately, this time I did not run into any spiderwebs.

The cold started late on Friday night after I went out in Dupont Circle, to a lovely little wine bar called
Veritas, which has fantastic customer service, a low-lit, pleasant atmosphere, and an obliging behind-the-scenes DJ. They even have wines from the very inclusive selection on tap! Had a lovely evening there with a friend. Space was limited, so we ended up sitting with two very nice young women at a small table. A very fun, but late evening.

Thursday was special. Thursday a coworker invited me to a Washington Capitals Season Ticket-Holders party at Six Flags in Maryland, where I got a hat signed by some of the players. Woot! Woot!

The rest of my life since Nashville has included much work, nearly enough sleep, and sadly enough, lots of television.

Yours truly,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment