Friday, October 3, 2008

NashVegas!! (a.k.a. Nashville)

Didn't really see much of the NashVegas part, actually. Only, we drove down Music Square, where some of the big recording studios are, and I got some kickin' cowboy boots."These boots were made for walkin'..." That's right. That's what they do. I love 'em.

I will admit that Nashville does not appeal to me. What little I saw of it didn't feel like a city. Lots of distinct neighborhoods, some of them very beautiful (in one of the latter, passed by Reese Witherspoon's parents' house). Downtown, we went to the Country Music Hall of Fame, which brought back my childhood and made me feel very nostalgic for my country music-listening days. Nashville has one very unique aspect, as Music City - it has music boxes on the street corners! Classical music next to the symphony hall, country music next to the Hall of Fame. I started singing when I knew the words... Maybe I shouldn't mention that.

One of the most fascinating things I saw there was the print shop my friend (I hope she's watching the debate) works at which is the second oldest... in the city? Excuse my hazy details. There, they use old hand-cranked presses with block type and images that are arranged by hand. Some beautiful posters are made in that shop. There are also two resident, though shy, cats. Unique atmosphere, there.

Mostly, though, I spent time on the farm. Not Bob Evans style, however. Not sure if that jingle popped into anyone else's head... It's located on a beautiful property, with an excellent view of the sunset from the front porch, or even the hammock. Unfortunately I forgot about mosquitos while I was there, and came back with several bites. But, the sunsets were worth it. I watered some cows, which grow like house plants when watered, apparently. Let's see, I napped, hung out in the hammock (pun intended), read a lot, and washed plenty of dishes by hand. Essentially, I relaxed. Though not the beach, the vacation passed tranquilly.

Hurrah for using up the last of one's vacation time.



1 comment:

  1. I never knew you were a country fan. That is very unfortunate and I shall strive in the coming months to forgive you.
    -Ty

    ReplyDelete