Thursday, October 16, 2008

Rediscovering "Family Time" at Dinner

There's something about eating with friends and family that just equals comfort. Comfort food on another level, if you will. Growing up, we always had dinner together as a family. Now that I live on my own, it happens far less frequently. Not all the siblings can gather together at the same time, because sometimes one is really busy and another is on travel or on the other side of the country. Only once have I lived with flatmates in a situation where we ate together most nights, because we alternated cooking dinner. All of us enjoy cooking, and they had a talent for it, luckily for me.

But I'm rambling. As a young adult, living on my own, eating together happens very infrequently. Last night, for the first time, my newish roommates and I finally got around to having a "roomies dinner". And I discovered how much I miss cooking for people. Not that I'm exceptionally talented, nor do I have the time or inclination to cook for people every night, but once in a while I do really enjoy it.

So last night I cooked a chicken, which I haven't done since I first moved in. It all started with the usual debate about what kind of chicken to buy, the choices being chicken (not free range, unfortunately) not given antibiotics or fed bits of other animals, and preserved without immersing it in water (evidently the Europeans do it differently) and then organic. Look at
Green Guides for an article on different safety/environmental labels for beef (not sure if they have one specifically for chicken). I went for the cheaper version, because it seemed healthy and at the same time was $4 cheaper than the organic birds. Of course we were running late, so had to rush a little in the eating, but it's not even so much the eating with others I enjoy as the cooking part. A glass of wine; chopping veggies; putting the bird in the oven; mixing the cookie dough; occasionally munching on the food that's supposed to be cooked; and chatting all the while.

Who else can't wait for Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not entirely sure what this post is supposed to be about, but I DO like thanksgiving, and I too enjoy getting together for food.
    We actually do potlucks quite often, that way no one person has a lot of work, and we always guarantee that at least one of the items will be edible.
    -Ty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now, between Michelle and I at least two or three of the items are edible.

    ReplyDelete